Materials for energy
IK4-TEKNIKER develops new advanced materials and efficient manufacturing processes for energy conversion and storage systems, offering solutions that begin with laboratory-scale development and end with the industrialisation of the process and/or product at the customer´s premises.
The main areas of research and development are:
1- Phase change materials (PCM) supported in inorganic matrices with thermal storage capacity to be used in applications such as transport, construction and the automotive industry.
- Development of composite materials by porous media (commercial or custom designed using sol-gel) and organic and inorganic PCMs
- Development of encapsulation routes using sol gel technology for the in-situ encapsulation of organic and inorganic PCMs
2- Thin layer solar cells on different types of substrates with high conversion efficiencies of solar energy and competitive manufacturing processes:
- Development of new chalcopyrite-based photovoltaic absorbers
- Development of transparent front contacts and metallic rear contacts for all types of solar cells
- Development of buffer layers (n-type semiconductor)
3- Functional coatings for solar thermal collectors to increase the performance of electricity generating plants:
- Development of selective coatings on steel pipes with high absorptivity and low emissivity.
- Development of high reflection mirrors
4- Functional coatings for fuel cells and electrolysers:
- Development of coatings with high corrosion resistance for bipolar plates.
- Development of catalysts based on nanoparticles.
5- Advanced functional coatings:
- Self-cleaning surfaces
- Biocidal surfaces
- Anti fouling surfaces
6- Nanoadditive materials:
- Heat transfer nanofluids (HTF)
- Molten salts for heat storage
- Slurries based on PCM